Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The iPod Shuffle - Update!

OH man, the iPod Shuffle can't just die, can it? Apple has come out with a new version of the famously terrible "iPod Shuffle" and idea so stupid that it should win some kind of award. The original was bad enough, but this is getting ridiculous.

The new version of the iPod Shuffle is so ingenious, the actual player doesn't come with controls. Yeah, that's right. The controls are stuck onto the headphones. And since Apple's headphones have been known to be notoriously shitty, this is a pretty bad idea.

Hey guys, I'm going to use my iPod Shuffle now, just let me get those $150 dollar headphones I bought for it-

WHAT? No controls?!

Smooth, Apple.

Also, it's a great show of Apple Tax in action. This littl chunk of text from another website will explain:

All told, the cost of the shuffle's components, the headphones, and the packaging it ships in comes to $21.77, according to iSuppli's estimates. That's about 28% of the device's retail price.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2009/tc20090410_507831.htm

the iPod Shuffle costs $22 dollars to make. I realize that doesn't factor in the cost of the designing and "research" went into creating this, but think about it. It's just the original Shuffle, with no buttons. There wasn't much of a change at all. 72% profit for a thing like this is atrocious, and a true example of the Apple Tax.

1 comment:

  1. Apple's marketing campaign seems to be "Trading actual functionality for useless gimmicks."

    Case in point: MacBooc Air. No USB ports? Fuck yeah! No CD drive? Who the fuck needs those anyway!? All I need to have fun with my Macbook is a manila envelope!

    I'd show my friends the envelope trick, but I don't have any friends. Do you guys have any pot?

    ReplyDelete